Tuesday, April 2, 2013

The Value of Three

"In the name of the Father, the Son and the Holy Ghost."
"Third time's a charm."
"After you hear it three times, that's when you're going to remember it."

I've been pondering the number three a lot lately, because it seems that many things have been showing up in threes and have been speaking to me. Maybe it's because my mind has been freer than usual lately with less writing projects and I'm able to pay attention more. Possibly, God is speaking to me and I'm listening.

     The first set of three refer to Christian faith and the words describing God in the Bible. The Father is the creator of the universe and of Jesus, who is the Son, and the Holy Ghost is who remains with us at all times - He is the presence of God on earth. I can parallel this in my Christian life as attending weekly church service as one, Bible study as two, and daily prayer and conversations with God is three. One topic from the Bible was repeated to me - Jeremiah 29:11 was mentioned in conversation, heard at church and then referenced to in my own reading. "For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Another is the Book of James, with instructions for life, that I found in Bible study that my mother also completed (so we discussed it several times), addressed by our pastor at church and I pursued it in my need for wisdom in family life.

     The second reference to threes would be counting on luck and is an agnostic or atheist view, although I am sure there are plenty of us Christians who cross our fingers for good luck, say "good luck" to friends, family and teams before a competition. God has a plan for each of us (see Jer. 29:11) and while we may think that it is luck that helped us get that primo parking place, win in the drawing at the marketing party we attended or finish that race in the top 10 in our category, there is a bigger picture of God's hand in the success.
 
   Three times to remember is a marketing reference. I try to emphasize to my marketing clients to repeat their message on Facebook, with a news release or with a blog and with signage and direct mail so that clients will recognize their name when they have a need for their business (real estate, interior decorating, church, school). Why do you think you see advertisements for McDonald's, Coke, Pepsi and Frito-Lay multiple times on the TV during a single program, as well as receiving flyers in the mail and billboards? The repetition is what draws you in to buy that new cracker or cookie from Nabisco, or to look at that cool car from Toyota. The less apparent marketing of a service business makes it more challenging to promote than consumer goods, and that is where word of mouth and personal reference is valuable, and can be included in the value of three times heard will make an impact.

In closing, I'll just state that this blog will not be repeated two more times. :-)




No comments: