Sunday, April 21, 2013

Best Days

I had a best day yesterday. A best day is a time when you get to do all the things you like to do, in an easy-going manner without having to rush. I did have to rush a little bit at the evening part of the day because I had spent so much time relaxing.

These days, sleep is very valuable, so it was awesome to have gone to bed at 1 am to get up at 8 am to make a breakfast for my daughter, then to go back to bed about and hour later and stay there another couple of hours, checking email and Facebook on my phone, reading the excellent free book I received from dearreader.com - Movement of Stars by Amy Brill, and getting more sleep. I then got up to send my youngest off with her father to run errands, leaving me with an empty, silent house. After getting some laundry going and the kitchen clean, I went outside to enjoy the beautiful, sunny yet cool early afternoon to pull weeds in the front yard. I came inside to prepare the remainder of a batch of cookies that I had baked half of the day before, filling the house with the warm smell of freshly baked cookies.

All that activity had me tired again, so I proceeded back to my bedroom to spend a little more time with Movement of Stars, set in 1845 and covering a young Quaker woman's pursuit of astronomy, with a twist. Great book, more than halfway through now. After this restful day, it was time for me to get ready to go out to a rodeo party at the beautiful Reserve on Lake Travis. My dilemma was choosing what to wear. An original plan to wear a fun dress with boots was scrapped to wear jeans or pants instead because of the unusually cold April weather. The black leather pants and red boots won, along with the blingy top and jewelry. We enjoyed awesome food, Tito's vodka and fellowship with friends and new friends, and afterward shut down the band with our Spicewood friends. I love to dance too! We arrived home and got to visit with our darling teenage daughters to round out the night. Reading, resting, baking and dancing, plus a whole lot of extras made April 20, 2013, a best day.

By the way, today is also a best day because it is my father, Carroll Wayne Merlick's birthday. I loved his mother very much and feel very fortunate that she and my grandfather had him. He was an only child, raised with a strict hand but fed awesome food that I learned to love as well, and given the tools to become a successful adult. He is a loving, dear man that has high expectations for me and everyone else in my family. Happy Birthday Daddy - I love you!

No comments: