Sunday, April 7, 2013

Special Birthday

Dear Mom -

After many attempts today, this special day, to write you a note of love on your birthday, I am finally getting to it. It's a tough proposition to write down something that I feel so strongly in my heart. Do I make a list? Do I write a poem or a haiku? Do I describe all the incredible things you do for me and for others? Do I draw a pretty picture - but of what would it be? So I just decided to write you a love letter of sorts, and also a thank you note.

You, Judy Wickham, are an incredible woman. Coming from a solid, Christian home life to be married and have five children at a young age, then to raise all of us to be energetic, happy adults, producing 12 successful, happy grandchildren (ages 2-25), is an accomplishment in itself. That family love has been so valuable in both my life and that my brothers and sisters and our children, of your sisters and brother, your cousins, your in-laws, and those family members who have passed. The  meals, the attendance in times of sickness, the caring for our children, the lovely birthday and holiday parties you throw, and let's not forget all the dear and thoughtful gifts. And of course there are just the considerate things that you share and do, including sending sweet thank you notes, calling to check in, giving us vegetables from your garden and taking us to lunch. I can hear it in your voice and feel it in your warm hugs that you love me.

But your arms reach further, to the people in need in your church, your community, and the world. Your Bible study leadership to steer women to better understand the word of God, your monthly trips downtown to feed the homeless, the annual events for which you serve joyfully for your small Texas town, and the mission trips into the world all speak of yours and God's love for others beyond your family. People in your circle of influence through your profession as a Realtor, as a neighbor, a Republican woman, a Christian member of a church and a friend, know you and speak well of you. Thank you for your extensive consideration me and of others, for teaching me how to love and for just being you.

I could write for hours, but alas, the weekend laundry - with school uniforms and PE outfits, jeans and t-shirts are calling, as are the daily lunches and the prep of the morning coffee. Besides that, I need my sleep if I am to ever be the wonderful mother and friend that you are to me. I love you mom - Happy Birthday!


No comments: