Friday, February 22, 2013

Nick and Sunny

I love living in Spacewood. Bordered by Lake Travis to the north, beautiful Hill Country to the west, more sloping landscape to the south and the thriving metropolis of Austin to the east, in the great state of Texas, I couldn't imagine living in a more excellent place. Our community is one of friendliness shown by the smiling faces and the hand wave when passing another car on the road.

We have an little incredible gas station with convenience store just two miles away. Quick 'n' Save is the name of it, with Exxon gasoline at the pump. It's run by a couple of fellows from India named Nick and Sunny. At 6 am EVERY SINGLE DAY, Sunny is manning the register, greeting customers as they enter and pay, and DAILY, at 3 pm, Nick takes over the register and runs the shop until 11 pm, when it closes.While not a bright, shiny corporate establishment, it is generally clean inside and out and has all the last-minute ingredients such as flour, milk, cheese and eggs, as well as plenty of snacks, beer and wine. I am amazed that Sunny and Nick are the only two employees that I ever see.

Sunny is subdued. He doesn't smile much. I less frequently see Sunny because I don't stop in at that time as often. Once, about a year ago, I went in to buy something and we chatted. I spoke about my darling daughters in some regard, and in the same breath asked if he had children. He looked down and said "No." I paused and he looked back up and then told me, "She died." I was humbled and it was my turn to look down. "I'm sorry," I said, took my purchase and left. That feeling of sadness overcomes me each time I see him since then. I try to be cheerful each time I see him.

Nick is another story. While I don't know whether or not he has children, we have spoken a lot about life and living. I am "Mrs. Kevin," to Nick, and am addressed in that way with a smile every time I walk in. He asks me about Kevin always, maybe because he is out of town a lot and Nick is either vicariously going to the interesting place that Kevin is visiting, or is just checking up on me. Recently when it was slow and I was in a nosy way, I asked him about his store.

Nick told me that he is from India and he still has family living there. He said that he and Sunny own the store and that they are the only employees. What hard workers! When we were talking about places we've been and would like to visit, Nick said that India is the only place he wants to go. He said that he is making his way in America so that someday he can go home with the money he has earned and live a good life there.

I have never been to India but I  have heard that many areas are very poor, with squalid living conditions. I also have seen that it is very dry and dusty. This brings me back to the life I have, living in Spacewood. Running water and electricity in every household, wonderful weather conditions - despite the drought, automobiles in every driveway, and an awesome convenience store to pick up that butter I forgot for the cookies just two miles away.

No comments: