Monday, February 11, 2013

Cancer Clarification

The topic of cancer is a touchy one. I know people who have survived cancer and are thriving, some that have it now and are ill from it and those who have died from it. It must be a tragic moment to be told that you or someone that you love has cancer. I was very strong in my previous post regarding those who get cancer and could have prevented it. I didn't want to appear insensitive to those who DO live a healthy life and still get it, and children are the greatest exception.
    A child, when affected by leukemia or other early cancers at an young age, have most likely had no control over their food sources, environment and living habits. This does not mean that the parents are necessarily responsible though. Today when further listening to the book "The Emperor of All Maladies, A Biography of Cancer," by Siddhartha Mukherjee, I learned that there are cancer genes that we can inherit that make us more pre-disposed to cancer. Why do some people have these genes and others don't? In addition, Mukherjee gave an excellent example of some of the triggers that we are exposed to in our work or other efforts, including asbestos, smoke, paint, plastics and other factors that can make us more susceptible. While smoking does increase the likelihood that we will get cancer, I don't feel that it causes cancer.
     My maternal grandmother smoked for over 50 years, quit when she was in her late sixties, and lived to be 94 years old, cancer-free. Her sisters, also long term smokers that continued longer than her, both died of cancer that had metastasized, when they were in their 70's. Their mother lived to 101, cancer-free, but she lived in the home with the two sisters, inhaling second-hand smoke, for over 40 years. My paternal grandfather smoked for 50 years, owned a car painting shop and died of lung cancer that had metastasized in his mid 80's.
     In the same way, we are affected by tumors or other disease, and recover from it. I had a golf-ball sized brain tumor, benign, found when I was 29, and I've made it 21 more years, bearing 2 children along the way. I would conjecture that my relatively healthy lifestyle at that point and an excellent surgeon (Dr. Sam Finn, Baylor Hospital Dallas) are what carried me through the survival.
     My point is that cancer appears to have a shot-gun approach, and if you are one of the faster prey that by good choices and good genes can get out of the way, but sometimes the shooter, the cancer itself, will hit you no matter how fast you are. Blessings to those who have suffered and are suffering.
     "Blessed is the man who perseveres under trial, because when he has stood the test, he shall receive the crown of life that God has promised to those who love him." - James 1:12
    

No comments: