Monday, March 24, 2008

Thirty Minutes A Day

I'm always writing. Whether I'm folding laundry, preparing a meal or even speaking to someone, I can see words in my head that I'd like to put down on paper. Unfortunately, it's difficult to multi-task with something such as writing, because you must either put hand to pen to paper, or hands to keyboard to computer or typewriter that is actually plugged in and turned on. It's so frustrating to me sometimes that I can't get to that point of putting words into being.

As a wanna-be published writer, in the year 2008 no less, I must train myself to write at least thirty minutes a day, as is suggested by many writing handbooks and magazines. Thirty minutes is not much time, but finding that thirty minutes can be diffifult. Of course, I usually will write for thirty minutes a day, but not always on a single piece or on a topic of my choosing. The writing time comes from either a response to an email, an assignment from my husband for his business (presentation, news release or product label), a thank you letter or a note to my children's teachers or principal.

The thirty minute desired daily result for me is either blogging, as I am doing now, writing on my weekend story or my beans story, or writing about a topic from my ever growing list. Maintaining the interest in the task at the time in one of the above means is part of my problem. With so much going on in life it is difficult for me to focus on one topic at a time. As I write right now, I am indecisive as to whether I should work on this once a week blog or pursue one of the aforementioned tasks. Or should I let in the cat who is meowing on the front porch and feed the dog his morning meal? Should I open my TOPICS file add another idea to my list? Decisions! I think I could be described as being ADHD because I never lack for something to do, and it is just prioritizing the need for all those tasks that is my dificulty. In prioritizing, I nearly always can find something more "productive" to do than write. But this feels so good right now to get words on a screeen!

Timer's up, I've had my thirty minutes for today. On to the next task with words floating in my head and never getting on a screen.

No comments: