Wednesday, May 21, 2014

I'm an ADD Writer

Sitting, standing, walking, lying down. I can write in all of those positions, and I do, on a regular basis.

When imagining me writing, one should not visualize me hunkering down on the computer for hours and days at a time. It's 15-30 minutes MAX that I can stay sitting at a computer writing. Often, I stand over the computer taking notes to a client's video, while I stretch out.  This is after taking a one and a half to three mile walk up and down strenuous hills, while either reading or listening to client presentations, and then typing information about it into an email to myself. the writing provides a perfect distraction to the strain on my legs and the beating down of the sun on my head.

Lying on my bed is not a regular position for me, as when I move to the bedroom to work, my eyes picture the lateral position, my sense of touch recognizes feel of the soft pillows, and my nose detects the leftover effects of the aromatic "bedtime" spray. It's a lot quieter in there, perfect for repose. I don't last very long before my eyelids hover over my eyeballs, my head begins to nod, and I lose track of what I'm reading and writing. Oh, and I forgot about the driving position. After researching a project all day, I may record insight via the speaker module of the phone, again, in an email to myself to be copied and pasted into the completed document.

If I'm not writing, I'm attending to the list that grows by the hour of chores, exercises and tasks to complete each day, week and month. It runs from the loading of the laundry in the washer and dryer to cooking the meals in daily chores to self-pedicures and physical fitness for personal revival. By the time I've taken my daughter to school and picked her up in the afternoon, I've consumed two hours of my day, which leaves less time for hammering out words on the computer. And speaking of consuming, food is another huge distraction. A multi-level indulgence of nuts, fruit, yogurt, veggies, salty snacks and candy can make up one "meal" over a four hour period.  That's a movement for each item - stand up, go to refrigerator, pantry or desk to retrieve it, wash it, unwrap it or pop it into my mouth.

So why am I a writer, you may ask, thinking that writer types spit out thousands of words per day on a keyboard, conjuring, explaining and describing all types of material for students and clients, from resorts in Australia to a dentist office in California. In addition to the constant movement my body requires, my brain also experiences the traveling of thoughts in and out, up and down. There are cards to write, art materials to collect and assemble, in addition to the myriad of clients for which to write. It all needs to spill out somewhere, and why not here and there?

I am an ADD writer, and I wouldn't have it any other way.




No comments: