Saturday, January 26, 2013

Analogies?

One writing technique that I enjoy and can fully appreciate is the use of analogies. I would prefer to be more fluent in this skill, and I understand that in order to become better at any aspiration, one must practice and use that trait, and often. Since I recently picked up a book by a new favorite author, Erica Bauermeister, and her words almost flow from one analogy to the next like bites out of a delicious chocolate bar, I've decided to approach different topics, food, personal descriptions and items using this manner.

Right now, I am as tired as a 50 year old palm tree, after being beaten by the winds and saltwater, season after season, with an aching trunk and withered leaves. I realize that I've already fallen in my weekly postings, not finding the time last week to post, and indeed, I am ready to go to bed now. My goal here is to write five analogies, taken from the items on my desk and around me.

The melted ice cubes in the drink looked like lava rocks, broken away from the side of a mountain, and sitting in a stream.

The flashing lights of the d-link cable system flickered as those on a police cruiser pulling over a speeding car.

The smells emanating from the nearby trashcan gave off the odors of a recently prepared soup - garlic, onion, chicken renderings and salt.

The coolness in the air of the office felt like the refrigerated section at the grocery store.

The pistachio nuts were perfectly crunchy and fresh, like a tortilla chip on the outside and firm butter on the inside.

My reference to analogies, however, may  be incorrect, and I am merely making similes. My 8th grade daughter informed me that analogies are word references and do not use the inference of "like." Analogy example for her:  green is to grass as blue is to the sky. Without much research, I can see her point, yet I will have to pursue it further to describe my word play completely and accurately.

I have a wariness of the teachers at her school who insist on placing the punctuation outside  the quotation marks, whereas I learned in journalism studies that it always goes inside the quotes. Regardless, I have titled my topic as Analogies until I find out otherwise.





No comments: