Monday, September 29, 2008

Why I Love Spicewood

The things I love about Spicewood are many, ranging from the general friendliness of the people who have either grown up here or made it their home after escaping from "city life." A few things, however, stand out, and prompted me to post this blog.

The vortex of a trail near my house that pulls me in and doesn't let me stop pursuing the end of it.

No sound but the chirp of crickets on my 20 minute walk on a public road at 8 p.m. last night.

Autos picking up children at the only elementary school in this small "post office" town ranging from a new Cadillac Escalade to a Diesel fuel truck. Eighteen wheelers and tall wheeled "show cars" have been seen in the car pick-up line as well.

The star-filled sky every clear night.

There are many more, but family life is calling. I must mention a few I don't like ... the slow internet service next to the lake or the abundance of small rodents for our cat to enjoy, blood and all, on the front porch.

1 comment:

Brent Laywell said...

Slow net: You might try Verizon Wireless. I've been using it for 2 years-&59.99 a month. They just started selling contracts month to month so if it does not work to your satisfaction your only out $60
My speed tonight inside the house-819Kbps downstream & 715Kbps upstream. If I go outside I can increase the speed 200Kbps more. As for the other problem. Learn all you can about the disease so you will be able to recognize the stages during it's progression. Don't make the mistake of thinking you can moderate or control it with the use of ultimatums. Tough love and prayer are the only things that will help you. You must not be afraid to walk out the door when the time comes. Remember, this is a self centered disease so all your might will never cure it unless the patient accepts his diagnosis.